guix-devel

Re: Guix+Jenkins slides/video

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix+Jenkins slides/video
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 21:21:44 +0200

Hello!

Phil <phil@beadling.co.uk> skribis:

> A few of you might know me from guix-help or the Guix reddit channel.
>
> I did a talk last week and there's been some interest so thought I'd
> post the link here:
> https://www.devopsworld.com/agenda/session/617842

I discover this pretty late, the slides are insightful!

> Slides are available at the bottom without registration.  The video
> requires registration (and needs full screen).
>
> This is still a work in progress, so any suggestions, comments,
> questions very welcome.

You mention functional overlap between Jenkins and Guix somewhere, and I
can see that, mostly when it comes with scheduling (the same sort of
problem shows up in Cuirass and in the Build Coordinator, mostly because
guix-daemon makes opaque scheduling/offloading decisions.)

The motivating example is interesting.  Do you find that ‘guix pull’ and
‘guix time-machine’ serve you well for CI, or are they too slow?
Perhaps you pin the ‘guix’ channel?

> Current work is focusing on generating AWS Lambda functions in Jenkins
> using Guix profiles, and making Guix-Juptyer available on our Jenkins
> deployments - depending on progress we could offer to do talks at Guix
> Days 2021 on these.

Oh so you also use Guix-Jupyter?  I’m interested in whatever feedback
you may have.  :-)

Thanks for sharing!

Ludo’.