guix-devel

Re: Preservation of Guix Report

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Preservation of Guix Report
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 22:47:22 +0200

Hi Timothy!

Timothy Sample <samplet@ngyro.com> skribis:

> Early this summer I did a bunch of work trying to figure out which Guix
> sources are preserved by the SWH archive.  I’m finally ready to share
> some preliminary results!
>
>     https://ngyro.com/pog-reports/2021-10-20/
>
> This report is already quite outdated, though.  It only covers commits
> up to the end of May, and sometime in June is when the sources were
> checked against the SWH archive.  I’m sharing it now to avoid any
> further delays.

This is truly awesome!  (Did you manage to grab all that info with the
default rate limit?!)

I can’t wait for the updated report now that Simon and yourself have
identified that SWHID computation bug!

Some of our <git-reference> refer to tags, not commits.  How do you
determine whether they’re saved?

‘guix lint -c archival’ uses ‘lookup-origin-revision’, which is a good
approximation, but it’s not 100% reliable because tags can be modified
and that procedure only tells you that a same-named tag was found, not
that it’s the commit you were expecting.  (And really, we should stop
referring to tags.)

Thank you! 👍🏽

Ludo’.