guix-devel

Re: Preservation of Guix Report

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Preservation of Guix Report
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 09:53:02 +0200

Hi Ludo,

On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 at 22:47, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> ‘guix lint -c archival’ uses ‘lookup-origin-revision’, which is a good
> approximation, but it’s not 100% reliable because tags can be modified
> and that procedure only tells you that a same-named tag was found, not
> that it’s the commit you were expecting.  (And really, we should stop
> referring to tags.)

At package time, Guix uses tag.  Then “guix lint” saves the upstream
repo; containing the correct tag.  Now, upstream replaces in-place the
tag and saves to SWH by their own.  How does SWH deal with this case?

Well, because it is not affordable to switch from the current
tag-address to immutable commit-address for defining packages, in order
to be 100% reliable, any fallback should use Disarchive-DB which stores
the mapping from checksum to swhid; for all kind origins.

Is it what you have in mind?

Cheers,
simon