guix-devel

Split (gnu packages suckless) module

From: Mekeor Melire
Subject: Split (gnu packages suckless) module
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 15:55:26 +0000

Hi Guix :)

I would like to propose to split the (gnu packages suckless) module,
located in the /gnu/packages/suckless.scm source file. It contains
package declarations for software written by the Suckless group, namely
following packages:

    blind, colors, dmenu, dwm, fortify-headers, human, lchat, libutf,
    noice, prout, sbm, scron, sent, skroll, slock, slscroll, slstatus,
    spoon, st, surf, tabbed, wificurse, xbattmon

The reasons for this proposal are:

  1. We generally do not create modules according to the groups of
     developers, but rather package declarations are grouped into
     modules according to their function (e.g. "wm") or according to
     some technical or factual realm they belong to (e.g. "haskell" or
     "music"). There is no reason why software from the Suckless group
     should not follow this rule.

  2. There are hints indicating that the Suckless group sympathizes to
     oppressive Nazi ideology. The Suckless group is a registered
     association in Munich, Germany.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210817073134/https://ev.suckless.org/impressum/

     - It has been reported that one of their members (L.H.) called
       their mail server "Wolfsschanze" which was the name of Hitlers
       last bunker.

       https://twitter.com/pid_eins/status/1113738766471057408

     - In 2017, they did a torch march during their conference which is
       a Nazi symbol.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210910103557/http://suckless.org/conferences/2017/

     - In 2018, on the Devuan mailing list, one of their members (E.W.)
       depicts the defeat of Nazi Germany as a genocide on Germans.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210613185451/https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20181010.120415.e5f96d11.en.html

What do you think? Maybe we should start discussing where each of these
suckless software package declarations should be moved to? My
suggestions follow:

#+begin_src
    blind:
        Command line video editing utilities
        → (gnu packages video)

    colors:
        Extract colors from pictures
        → (gnu packages image)

    dmenu:
        Dynamic menu
        → (gnu packages xorg)

    dwm:
        Dynamic window manager
        → (gnu packages wm)

    fortify-headers:
        Standalone fortify-source implementation
        → ?

    human:
        Convert bytes to human readable formats
        → (gnu packages textutils)

    lchat:
        Line chat is a frontend for the irc client ii from suckless
        → (gnu packages irc)

    libutf:
        Plan 9 compatible UTF-8 library
        → (gnu packages c)

    noice:
        Small file browser
        → (gnu packages disk)

    prout:
        Smaller lp command
        → ?

    sbm:
        Simple bandwidth monitor
        → (gnu packages monitoring)

    scron:
        Simple cron daemon
        → ?

    sent:
        Plain-text presentation tool
        → (gnu packages textutils)

    skroll:
        Commandline utility which scrolls text
        → (gnu packages textutils)

    slock:
        Simple X session lock
        → (gnu packages xorg)

    slscroll:
        Scroll-back buffer program for st
        → (gnu packages terminals)

    slstatus:
        Status monitor for window managers
        → (gnu packages wm)

    spoon:
        Set dwm status
        → (gnu packages wm)

    st:
        Simple terminal emulator
        → (gnu packages terminals)

    surf:
        Simple web browser
        → (gnu packages web-browsers)

    tabbed:
        Tab interface for application supporting Xembed
        → (gnu packages xorg)

    wificurse:
        Wifi DoS attack tool
        → (gnu packages networking)