guix-devel

Re: Split (gnu packages suckless) module

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Split (gnu packages suckless) module
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 12:45:31 -0400

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 06:22:28AM +0200, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 28.10.2021, 15:55 +0000 schrieb Mekeor Melire:
> >   1. We generally do not create modules according to the groups of
> >      developers, but rather package declarations are grouped into
> >      modules according to their function (e.g. "wm") or according to
> >      some technical or factual realm they belong to (e.g. "haskell"
> >      or "music"). There is no reason why software from the Suckless
> >      group should not follow this rule.
> Actually, the software from the suckless group follows this rule in a
> sense, as we also have a module for freedesktop, gnome, kde, etc.

I think there is a distinction with these groups compared to suckless.

These software written by these groups is tightly coupled, relying on
shared libraries and APIs. They intend to create a cohesive and
integrated operating system.

Whereas the suckless software does not share code or APIs, at least as I
understand it, and does not seek to create a cohesive OS beyond the
classic loosely coupled "Unix" idea.