guix-devel

Packages for old Emacs versions

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Packages for old Emacs versions
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 15:40:18 +0000

Hi,

reading [0], I would like to ask if there is any interest in
up-streaming the work I have been doing to build old versions of Emacs
using Guix (the main use-case is to help with testing Emacs packages on
various versions)[1]?  My fear is that with further upstream development,
there might be conflicts between the packages I inherit from (emacs,
emacs-no-x, emacs-minimal) and the packages I have definined in [1].
An easy fix might be to not rely on the upstream package definitions,
but I am not certain if there are any down-sides I haven't considered.

Of course, if the Guix project isn't interested in providing old
versions of packages, then I will continue look into maintaining my own
channel.

[0] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Creating-a-Channel.html
[1] https://git.sr.ht/~pkal/guix-emacs-historical

--