guix-devel

Re: Packages for old Emacs versions

From: Thiago Jung Bauermann
Subject: Re: Packages for old Emacs versions
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 22:20:12 -0300

Hello Philip,

> reading [0], I would like to ask if there is any interest in
> up-streaming the work I have been doing to build old versions of Emacs
> using Guix (the main use-case is to help with testing Emacs packages on
> various versions)[1]?

This is a very interesting use of Guix!

> My fear is that with further upstream development,
> there might be conflicts between the packages I inherit from (emacs,
> emacs-no-x, emacs-minimal) and the packages I have definined in [1].
> An easy fix might be to not rely on the upstream package definitions,
> but I am not certain if there are any down-sides I haven't considered.
>
> Of course, if the Guix project isn't interested in providing old
> versions of packages, then I will continue look into maintaining my own
> channel.

I don’t have much experience with the Guix projects and its preferences
and practices, so I can’t tell if it would be interested or not,
unfortunately. I just wanted to mention that if not, another upstreaming
option could be the Guix-Past channel:

https://gitlab.inria.fr/guix-hpc/guix-past

--
Thanks