guix-devel

Re: proposal: address@hidden list/alias

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: proposal: address@hidden list/alias
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 09:44:16 +0200

Hi Ricardo,

On Thu, 02 Jun 2022 at 08:17, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> I had a similar idea of moving this to the server and triggering an
> email notification … but I didn’t want to overcomplicate the initial
> proposal.  It would indeed be better if a new contributor didn’t also
> have to remember to Cc us.  The email-based workflow is foreign enough
> to be confusing already.

I agree.

Ah sorry, I overcomplicate the discussion. :-)

To me, it could be nice to have a tiny script (or Guix extension or
subcommand), maybe in etc/ which simplifies the workflow; something
similar to ’etc/committer.scm’.

The workflow would be:

        $ edit code
        $ git commit
        $ etc/mentoring.scm

where etc/mentoring would generate the patch(es), add X-Debbugs-CC and
send; assuming a correct ~/.gitconfig.  And maybe this script could
provide a simple hint for configuring git-send-email.

Even, we could imagine that this tiny script would hint the user to run
“guix lint” or “guix style” before pressing yes at the send step.

>From my experience, the most confusing is the “wait from Debbugs ID”
part, i.e., check your inbox or spam.  And I do not know how it could be
simplified.

Cheers,
simon