guix-devel

Re: Repology and outdated packages

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Repology and outdated packages
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2022 10:02:35 +0200

Maxime Devos schreef op di 07-06-2022 om 23:32 [+0200]:
> In my experience with antioxidant, not-up-to-date Rust toolchains do
> not prevent upgrading packages -- in the process of resolving build
> failures, I updated some crates.  This never resulted in a ‘you need
> an
> new toolchain error’.  At worst, I had to disable the "unstable",
> "nightly" or "generic-simd" features of the crate.

Correction (adding the rust-git-path crate to update another crate to
avoid non-building crate due to updated crates with a different API):

Saving crate informtion in
/gnu/store/fr292pqsfas2i9nwc3bijx5skb8g3ayg-rust-git-path-0.1.3/lib/guixcrate/git-path.crate-info
error[E0658]: use of unstable library feature 'is_symlink'
  --> src/realpath.rs:50:34

50 |                     if real_path.is_symlink() {
   |                                  ^^^^^^^^^^

   = note: see issue #85748 <https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/85748>
for more information

Looks like it is possible to work-around avoid though:

https://github.com/rust-lang/cargo/commit/c6745a3d7fcea3a949c3e13e682b8ddcbd213add

Alternatively, I could set RUSTC_BOOTSTRAP=1.  From
<https://rustc-dev-guide.rust-lang.org/building/bootstrapping.html>

The build system sets RUSTC_BOOTSTRAP=1. This special variable means
to break the stability guarantees of rust: Allow using #![feature(...)]
with a compiler that's not nightly. This should never be used except
when bootstrapping the compiler.

Greetings,
Maxime.