guix-devel

Re: Release v1.4?

From: Josselin Poiret
Subject: Re: Release v1.4?
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 10:59:31 +0200

Hello,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>> * switching gdm-configuration-wayland? to #t, so that the OOB experience
>> with Wayland sessions is better.
>
> Perhaps I’m biased because I use Xorg, but I wonder how good a default
> that is?  To put it differently, what fraction of the user base uses
> Wayland?

I'm not sure, it does seem like a fraction of people use it on IRC but
then again it's more likely that Wayland users would talk about it, X
being the default.  If there are no outstanding bugs with Wayland Gnome
though, I think it'd be a better choice: no tearing in the default
configuration, and better designed.  GUI Toolkits seem to have adapted
pretty well, and we still have XWayland for the rest.  The most glaring
non-Wayland app would be Emacs, but emacs-next-pgtk is fully
Wayland-native.

For me the #1 reason though is onboarding experience: take a user of
another distro that uses their favorite Wayland compositor, and wants to
try out Guix.  They install it through the Guix installer, and don't
understand (yet) how to read the whole documentation and write their own
config file fully.  They add sway to their system packages, reconfigure,
but next reboot GDM doesn't show Sway in the available sessions; they then
decide it's not worth their time and go back to their old distro.  This
default change would make sure that it Just Works Out of The Box™ on
first install.

For the other deprecation changes, I agree, let's just wait a bit longer.

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret