guix-devel

Re: Non-free data in Poppler test suite

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Non-free data in Poppler test suite
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 10:04:43 +0200

Hi Marius,

On Tue, 28 Jun 2022 at 23:19, Marius Bakke <marius@gnu.org> wrote:

> I discovered a potential freedom issue with the Poppler test suite.
> Specifically it includes a file with the CC BY-NC-ND (non-commercial)
> license:

BY-NC-ND in short:

        This license allows reusers to copy and distribute the material
        in any medium or format in unadapted form only, for
        noncommercial purposes only, and only so long as attribution is
        given to the creator.

> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/poppler/test/-/commit/920c89f8f43bdfe8966c8e397e7f67f5302e9435

And the PDF provided by this commit is the extraction of page 8 from

    https://arxiv.org/pdf/2204.06128.pdf

which is a document of 21 pages.  Therefore, is this distribution of an
extracted derivative allowed by BY-NC-ND in the first place?

Maybe it seems worth to ask to Poppler devs their opinion.

Cheers,
simon

PS: I recommend the reading of https://arxiv.org/pdf/2204.06128.pdf :-)