guix-devel

Re: Rust in the kernel

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Rust in the kernel
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2022 14:57:38 +0200

Hi!

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:

> The effort to use the Rust programming language within the Linux kernel
> is progressing and may be realized in the next few months:
>
> https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/899182/6c831b90eaee015e/
> https://www.memorysafety.org/blog/memory-safety-in-linux-kernel/
>
> Within Guix, we'll need to adapt our kernel build processes in order to
> support this.
>
> Although I help with updating and configuring the kernel builds, I won't
> be able to participate in the "Rust in the kernel" effort for Guix.

Understood…

> So, interested volunteers should begin organizing :)

Yup!

Now, concretely, how long will it take before key parts of the kernel
are written in Rust?  Hopefully a long time, no?  Per the article above,
it’s starting small, with Rust usage in well-defined locations.

This is not to say that we shouldn’t start organizing, but rather that
we still have a bit of time ahead.

(During that time, interested readers can also take a stab at improving
support for the Hurd, which relies on that revolutionary technology
called “address spaces” to ensure Memory Safety™ among other things!)

Ludo’.