guix-devel

Re: Rust in the kernel

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Rust in the kernel
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2022 17:31:50 +0200

Hi,

Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org> skribis:

>> (During that time, interested readers can also take a stab at improving
>> support for the Hurd, which relies on that revolutionary technology
>> called “address spaces” to ensure Memory Safety™ among other things!)
>>
>> Ludo’.
>>

> Why "address spaces" is a revolutionary technology?  All kernels (except
> the "Hello, World!" ones) use it.

That was an ironic remark from my part.  Virtual memory management and
address spaces are not revolutionary at all: that’s how we protect
processes from stomping onto each other’s toes since the 70’s.

If the goal really is to improve OS reliability through a
multi-person-year effort, then I believe pouring that effort into a
microkernel-based design would be more fruitful.  My 2¢!

Ludo’.