guix-devel

Re: guix refresh to a specific version?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: guix refresh to a specific version?
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2022 09:45:47 +0200

Hi,

Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> skribis:

> I pushed my current working state to wip-import-version. The branch
> also contains some patches from bug56295 (Add some Chicken eggs and
> fix egg importer) and bug56318 (Fix github updater).

Neat!

> Basic ideas
>
>  * Add a keyword argument „version“ to all “latest-X-release” functions
>    and eventually pass it on to called functions.

For clarity I would rename the ‘latest’ field of <upstream-updater> to
‘import’ (say), likewise for the ‘latest-*-release’ procedure.

> These updaters report an error that they can't update to a specific
> version, if a version is given:
>
> ?bioconductor (cran.scm) -- repo supports latest version only
> ?cran -- repo supports latest version only
>           old version available in
> https://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/PACKAGENAME
> -cpan  --- no version, not recursive
> -elm  -- no updater
> -elpa  --- no version
> -gem  --- no version
> -hackage  --- no version
> -minetest  --- no version
> -opam  --- no version
> -sourceforge (gnu-maintenance) -- to complicated
> -json  -- n/a
> -texlive  --- no version, not recursive, no updater

I suspect most of them could be change to fetch a specific version, but
that can come later.

I’ll be monitoring guix-patches for the final version.  :-)

Thanks!

Ludo’.