guix-devel

Re: substitute derivation: also substitute grafts?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: substitute derivation: also substitute grafts?
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 14:53:24 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:
>
>> In my scenario I have two machines, one building stuff the other only
>> substituting.  The serving machine would be the one deciding whether to
>> enforce substitutability or not.
>
> An is it too expensive for that machine to build grafts locally?

It’s a matter of time.  Having prepared the environment previously on
another fast machine I’d like to avoid repeating the same work again on
a slow machine.

We needn’t restrict ourselves to substitutions — if “guix copy” could
work without first having to set up SSH that would be an equally valid
solution to this problem.

--
Ricardo