guix-devel

Re: substitute derivation: also substitute grafts?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: substitute derivation: also substitute grafts?
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 17:55:13 +0200

Hi Ludo,

On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 at 17:32, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> This has to be compared with the cost of a rebuild/redownload of the
> same set of packages.  Even in the worst case, grafts are faster than
> that.  Now, the difference is that those grafts need to be recomputed
> regularly, where the rebuild/redownload would be relatively rare.

I have not done some stats, indeed. :-)

The build/download or rebuild/redownload is really faster (at least
for some R packages) than the graft part for some machines with
spinning disks.  Well, I have been enough annoyed for some packages on
that machine to end by systematically run the '--no-grafts' option for
all packages. :-/

Cheers,
simon