guix-devel

Re: Small change request to the manual page "Building from Git"

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Small change request to the manual page "Building from Git"
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 17:59:59 +0200

On 10-10-2022 16:18, Mehmet Tekman wrote:
Hello,

Try "guix environment guix --pure guix" or "guix shell guix -D guix" instead.

Yes I understand, but the manual states that:

The following command starts a new shell **where all the dependencies and
appropriate environment variables are set up to hack on Guix**:
guix environment guix --pure

You are reading an old version of the manual, the latest version mentions "guix shell -D guix --pure".

This gives the impression that everything needed for `make
authenticate' to work is included in the above command (and I guess it
would be on the native distro).

> I think a small sentence mentioning the extra Guix dependency for
> non-native users isn't completely unwarranted, or perhaps maybe a hint
> in the linked "invoking guix environment" page?

As I wrote previously, foreign system / Guix System makes no difference -- in both cases, --pure changes the PATH, and not doing --pure should get you the 'guix' from ~/.guix-profile/bin/guix if Guix is set up
previously.

I suppose removing --pure (from the manual) might solve this problem.
However, --pure appears to have been added for a reason
(commit 43ec98ef3025f67ff4f66b7da0bcb79a6f088042), so I expect the solution is to rephrase things somehow (maybe something about running "guix git authenticate" outside "guix shell -D guix").
On Sun, 9 Oct 2022 at 11:08, Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> wrote:
> [lots of text]

You seemed to have duplicated the previous mail here, but most e-mail clients keep the previous mails available, so there's no need. Not top-posting also saves a little time for the reader.

Greetings,
Maxime;.