guix-devel

Re: Small change request to the manual page "Building from Git"

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Small change request to the manual page "Building from Git"
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 11:08:39 +0200

On 06-10-2022 15:35, Mehmet Tekman wrote:
Hi there,

I'd like to request some small changes be made on this page:
> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Building-from-Git.html <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Building-from-Git.html>

1. Authenticating on a foreign distro

When at the "make authenticate" stage of the build process on a foreign distro, this fails because it cannot find guix. I think it's because the `guix environment guix --pure' command doesn't include it, or obscures its path.

As a workaround, I ran `PATH=/usr/local/bin/:$PATH make authenticate'

"guix environment guix" only includes the dependencies of guix, not Guix itself. Try "guix environment guix --pure guix" or "guix shell guix -D guix" instead.

"guix environment guix --pure" does indeed 'obscure its path' -- that's what --pure is for, if you don't want that, don't include --pure.

Both of these are independent of whether you are on a foreign distro or Guix System.

2. Easy fix for failing `make check' tests

I had a few failing tests on my foreign distro relating to setting locales.
Digging around led me to this reddit thread for the solution:
https://old.reddit.com/r/GUIX/comments/jpq1uw/bashminimal507binbash_warning_setlocale_lc_all/

Here they suggest running `sudo guix install glibc-locales` instead of as a
user.
Maybe this should be mentioned, since I'm not the only one coming to GUIX from
another distro.

Despite the name on Reddit, the name is Guix, not GUIX.

Also, assuming you have installed the Guix daemon with your foreign distro's package manager, this is a bug in the foreign distro's packaging, see <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1012536> in case of Debian. You could ask your distro to do a similar fix.

Greetings,
Maxime.