guix-devel

Re: Notes from discussion on Quality Assurance from the 10 Years of Guix

From: Tanguy LE CARROUR
Subject: Re: Notes from discussion on Quality Assurance from the 10 Years of Guix event
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 17:58:49 +0200

Quoting Christopher Baines (2022-10-05 18:51:52)
> Tanguy LE CARROUR <tanguy@bioneland.org> writes:
>
> >>   - Minimise the burden for submitters
> >>     - Lengthy guidance for submitting patches
> >
> > Actually, the `16.4 Packaging Guidelines` and `16.6 Submitting Patches`
> > are everything that I've ever looked for.
>
> I think the point here is that the Submitting Patches section is quite
> long.

You mean the 17 point list?! 😅

> > The only problem is `16.5.4 Formatting Code` that makes use of
> > `./etc/indent-code.el`
> > that was removed back in January.
>
> The latest version of the manual suggests using guix style, so this is
> maybe a problem limited to old versions of the manual?

I read it there:
<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Formatting-Code.html>:

```shell
./etc/indent-code.el gnu/packages/file.scm package
```

If the online manual is considered an old version, where should I look
for the current documentation? Devel?

It seems to be up to date there, indeed:
<https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Formatting-Code>

```shell
./pre-inst-env guix style package
```

> >>     - Changelog format
> >
> > "format" and "content".
> >
> > I've heard about a magic trick in Emacs, but as a user of "the other
> > editor",
> > I have to write everything manually.
> >
> > I guess one could write a command that would detect what has changed and
> > write the changelog. This could also be used on the reviewer/qa side to
> > check if the patch actually does what it says it does.
>
> I think there's room for improvement here in terms of telling people not
> to worry about it too much, plus providing more guidance on the format
> and common examples.
>
> There's also tooling like the etc/committer.scm script which I don't
> know anything about really, but it seems to handle writing this message
> in some cases.

```shell
$ ./pre-inst-env guix refresh -u csvkit
# […]
gnu/packages/wireservice.scm:205:13: csvkit: updating from version 1.0.5 to
version 1.0.7...
# […]

$ guile etc/committer.scm
gnu: csvkit: Update to 1.0.7.

* gnu/packages/wireservice.scm (csvkit): Update to 1.0.7.
[master 715de68b73] gnu: csvkit: Update to 1.0.7.
```

Mind=blown™ 🤯

Thanks!!!

> >> - Learn how to review more patches
> >
> > Also learn how to review your first patch! Being able to push a "+1"
> > button in the QA interface might be useful?
> > For the time being, I don't know what feedback from me could be useful
> > for a commiter and how to provide it.
>
> Yep, I think Arun had some useful ideas on this back in February
> [1]. Particuarly including a checklist somewhere (issues.guix.gnu.org or
> maybe qa.guix.gnu.org).
>
> 1: https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2022/online-guix-days-2022-announcement-2/

Added to my "to watch" list.

> Please let me know if I can help with any of this. The QA frontpage in
> particular should have a bunch of easier things to do, and I've got a
> rough list of tasks I put together here [2].
>
> 2: https://git.cbaines.net/guix/qa-frontpage/about/

First, I'll have to do my homework and read everything that's related to
QA and DataService. I'll let you know as soon as I've found something
useful to bring to the table.

--
Tanguy