guix-devel

Re: Notes from discussion on Quality Assurance from the 10 Years of Guix

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Notes from discussion on Quality Assurance from the 10 Years of Guix event
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 09:34:09 +0200

Hi Tanguy,

On dim., 23 oct. 2022 at 17:40, Tanguy LE CARROUR <tanguy@bioneland.org> wrote:

>>     guix package --export-manifest > /tmp/my-pkgs.scm
>>     guix refresh -m /tmp/my-pkgs.scm 2>&1 | ...
>
> I'm not using manifest (anymore). I used to, but for the time being, I'm using
> `divenv` + `guix shell` and I'm quite happy with that setup.

Note that the first command above creates the manifest for you.
Usually, it works well enough. :-)

Well, ’direnv’ + ’guix shell’ but you have a manifest, no?  I mean how
does ’guix shell’ know what to provide inside this new shell?

For what it is worth, I have used similar workflow but I have been bored
to run “guix pull”, do some stuff unrelated to ’project’, then later be
back on ’project’ and then have failures.  Instead, my workflow is
splited into 2 ways depending on my phase of the Moon.  Either, I create
a profile inside the project directory.  Either, I use channels.scm +
manifest.scm and often run via ’guixify’ script (see below); e.g.,

    guixify foo # run foo using the Guix environment
    guixify     # enter in the environment

Maybe, ’direnv’ would do a better job.  The good point is that
channels.scm and manifest.scm are included in the Git tree of the
project.  And they can be re-used with ’guix pack -f docker -m
manifest.scm’ to generate Docker pack that I can share with colleagues.

#!/bin/sh

guix time-machine -C channels.scm  \
     -- shell --pure               \
     -m manifest.scm               \