guix-devel

Re: Notes from discussion on Quality Assurance from the 10 Years of Guix

From: Tanguy LE CARROUR
Subject: Re: Notes from discussion on Quality Assurance from the 10 Years of Guix event
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 17:40:53 +0200

Hi Simon,

Sorry it took me so long to answer, but I've been struggling for the
past week with the upgrade of Poetry!! 😱
It requires updating `python-virtualenv` and `python-lockfile` and
suddenly a **LOT** of packages needed to be rebuilt/updated. #dependencyHell!
But that will definitively be the topic of a different thread…

Quoting zimoun (2022-10-19 11:57:15)
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2022 at 18:19, Tanguy LE CARROUR <tanguy@bioneland.org> wrote:
>
> > ```console
> > $ guix package -I | awk '{print $1}' | tr '\n' ' ' | xargs guix refresh
> > 2>&1 | ag -v "already" | ag -v "failed" | ag -v "no updater" | ag -v
> > "warning"
> > ```
> >
> > Yeah, I know… ugly! But, it does (part of) the job! 😎
>
> Well, if you are using a manifest file, you can directly pass it to
> ’guix refresh‘.  Otherwise,
>
>     guix package --export-manifest > /tmp/my-pkgs.scm
>     guix refresh -m /tmp/my-pkgs.scm 2>&1 | ...

I'm not using manifest (anymore). I used to, but for the time being, I'm using
`divenv` + `guix shell` and I'm quite happy with that setup.

> And even, being in a checkout of Guix,
>
>     guix refresh -m /tmp/my-pkgs.scm --update
>
> and then give a look at the script etc/committer.scm.

That would create more patches than I could process I guess. I like the
idea of cherry-picking from the "need to be updated" list.
But `etc/committer.scm` is definitively a tool I was missing! Thanks!

Regards,

--
Tanguy