guix-devel

Re: Small change request to the manual page "Building from Git"

From: Mehmet Tekman
Subject: Re: Small change request to the manual page "Building from Git"
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 16:18:09 +0200

Hello,

> Try "guix environment guix --pure guix" or "guix shell guix -D guix" instead.

Yes I understand, but the manual states that:

> The following command starts a new shell **where all the dependencies and
> appropriate environment variables are set up to hack on Guix**:
> guix environment guix --pure

This gives the impression that everything needed for `make
authenticate' to work is included in the above command (and I guess it
would be on the native distro).

I think a small sentence mentioning the extra Guix dependency for
non-native users isn't completely unwarranted, or perhaps maybe a hint
in the linked "invoking guix environment" page?

> Despite the name on Reddit, the name is Guix, not GUIX.

Noted, thank you

> Also, assuming you have installed the Guix daemon with your foreign distro's
> package manager, this is a bug in the foreign distro's packaging, see
> <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1012536> in case of Debian.
> You could ask your distro to do a similar fix.

Thanks, I'll report this to the package maintainer!

Best,
Mehmet