guix-devel

Re: Advanced network configuration

From: Alexey Abramov
Subject: Re: Advanced network configuration
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 15:11:30 +0200

Hi Ludo, Julien

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Alexey,
>
> (Cc: Julien, author of Guile-Netlink.)

[...]

> I’m sure your improvements to Guile-Netlink would be welcome.

> Regarding ‘static-networking’ in Guix, the goal was to allow it to be as
> expressive as the underlying netlink interface, but clearly we focused
> on the most common use cases.
>
> If you can think of how you’d like to represent these setups in
> ‘static-networking’ (perhaps a ‘bonds’ field similar to the netplan YAML
> snippet you showed?), we (or you :-)) can try and implement it.

Yeah, that was my intention =). @Julien Could you tell me how can I
collaborate? Shall I send patches to you directly or maybe debbugs, or
guix-patches?

>> 2. Having a router with Guix at home. I have to run multiple services
>> that provision 'networking' which is not allowed right now. The DHCP
>> client service is greedy right now and binds to all available
>> interfaces. I sent a [1] patch to solve this. However, I cannot define
>> dhcp-client and static configuration at the same time anyway.
>
> OK, we could allow users to change the Shepherd service name used by the
> DHCP client then.

That would indeed help for now. I can prepare yet another patch for
that.

[...]

> I’m not sure.  IIUC, a “networking target” here could translate to a
> Shepherd service that depends on all the relevant DHCP and static
> networking services.  The question the becomes how to express that
> grouping conveniently.

Yes, I also would like to point out that their must be a way to
establish a firewall, for example, *before* any network interface is up
(After=network-pre.target in systemd [1]). And the same thing during the
shutdown procedure (Before=network-pre.target in systemd).  Applications
have to be able to gracefully shutdown their network connections.  Is it
the case right now, I don't know?

I am checking (shepherd services) where `shutdown-services' defined, and
seems like it just walks across %services hash table. Am I missing
something?

Footnotes:
[1]
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.special.html#network-pre.target