guix-devel

Re: Guix Goals: One Hackable Developer Tool To Rule Them All

From: jgart
Subject: Re: Guix Goals: One Hackable Developer Tool To Rule Them All
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 21:24:21 -0500

On Thu, 13 Oct 2022 16:55:33 +0200 pinoaffe <pinoaffe@airmail.cc> wrote:

What I proposed is not an original idea but what the pants project
does. See this doc:

https://www.pantsbuild.org/v1.29/docs/goals

Pants fully supports Python but they are quickly working on golang,
java, and other languages.

zimoun, I'm mostly just brainstorming the general idea at the moment. I don't
mind if it takes the form of `guix project ...` or some other form.

pinoaffe, I agree that the developer commands should be completely
Guile configurable and hackable to our hacker heart's content, of
course. That's why we're all here ;()

Jonathan,

> but hasnt Make cornered a lot of these usecases well enough?

That didn't stop Guixers from making the gnu-build-system that paren
hugs Make. Why stop there? If you want to call mypy from Make that's
fine but I'd like to call mypy from Make from guix or why not cut out
the middleman altogether? In the end I just want to see the same unifying
guix ui experience transfered to dev tools across the polyglot stack.

This infrastructure should be flexible enough to allow us to
easily go unix plumbing if need be.

Let's wrap the world in parens!

paren hugs,

jgart