guix-devel

Re: Guix Goals: One Hackable Developer Tool To Rule Them All

From: jgart
Subject: Re: Guix Goals: One Hackable Developer Tool To Rule Them All
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 12:54:42 -0500

On Sun, 16 Oct 2022 15:11:38 +0200 Liliana Marie Prikler
<liliana.prikler@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, dem 13.10.2022 um 01:07 -0500 schrieb jgart:
>   #!/bin/sh
>   exec guix shell -m "$0" -- guile -e main -s "$0" "$@"
>   !#
>
>   (define (main args) ...)

>   (specifications->manifest ...)
>
> Of course, it'd be hell of a lot cleaner to separate manifest and
> business logic, but who am I to stop you?

Hi lilyp,

Yup, the latter is what I'm proposing instead of implementing a goal
for each lang à"ala carte" as a script for each project.

That would be like implementing part of a build-system everytime
when needed like we currently do when we needing to run pytest
instead their being first class support like was being worked on in:
https://github.com/guix-mirror/guix/tree/wip-python-pep517.

I'd like for "goals" to have first class support like guix home configs,
etc. do. But thanks for reminding us that we can just implement it
directly as needed in a script for each project. That's a testament to
the extensibility of Guix!

> Of course, it'd be hell of a lot cleaner to separate manifest and
business logic, but who am I to stop you?

I just need to find the time to implement the framework/system and
propose it again with a patch series ;() Not sure when that will be yet...

all best,

jgart