guix-devel

Re: Creating an Emacs Home Configuration Service

From: Andrew Tropin
Subject: Re: Creating an Emacs Home Configuration Service
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 11:22:45 +0400

On 2022-10-19 10:53, Zain Jabbar wrote:

> Aloha All,
>
> Super awesome to hear from you! I'm quite star stuck.
>
> Thank you for showcasing Andrew Tropin's rde project. I believe the
> =features= abstraction have potential and make more intuitive sense
> for the design of configurable programs. There is a lot for me to
> learn from this design choice.
>
> As it stands, =features= are not in Guix proper, are there plans to
> merge them?

There was no plan to merge this mechanism to Guix proper and I think
it's actually good to maintain this as a separate project/guix channel,
however it is discussable.  Features itself are quite opinionated and
doesn't fit general-purpose nature of the Guix IMO, so I don't think we
(Guix devs) want to merge them.

> How will they end up relating to the existing home services feature
> set?

rde features are basically wrappers around home and system services,
which allows to share values among those services, also it allows to
implement polymorphic behavior.

You can trace origins somewhere in rde-devel mailing list:
https://lists.sr.ht/~abcdw/rde-devel/%3C87sg56g97i.fsf%40trop.in%3E

Because rde features are a user-facing interface, and services mechanism
is slightly hidden underneath, rde's home and system services are less
suitable for end-user, but more flexible.  We (rde devs) usually don't
use records, which help to define rigid config structure, provide
autocompletion, field existence and type checks, and other benifits, but
provide sxml or other sexp based representation of underlying
configuration formats.

BTW, there is an emacs-home-service-type in rde:
https://git.sr.ht/~abcdw/rde/tree/59a2c1ef615aac7c5dac08660bd00ea5873e77b7/rde/home/services/emacs.scm#L20

and you can find various usage examples in people's configuration or in
rde/feature/emacs* modules.
https://git.sr.ht/~krevedkokun/dotfiles/tree/master/item/config/home/yggdrasil/emacs.scm
https://git.sr.ht/~akagi/guixrc/tree/master/item/magi/home/emacs.scm
https://git.sr.ht/~abcdw/rde/tree/master/item/rde/features/emacs.scm