guix-devel

Re: Creating an Emacs Home Configuration Service

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Creating an Emacs Home Configuration Service
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 15:17:02 +0200

Hi,

Zain Jabbar <zaijab2000@gmail.com> skribis:

> Thank you for showcasing Andrew Tropin's rde project. I believe the
> =features= abstraction have potential and make more intuitive sense
> for the design of configurable programs. There is a lot for me to
> learn from this design choice.
>
> As it stands, =features= are not in Guix proper, are there plans to
> merge them? How will they end up relating to the existing home
> services feature set?

I don’t think merging “features” into Guix has been discussed before.
It does sound like a logical next step to declarative configuration, but
I don’t have any experience to really say.

Anyway, I think the first step for Emacs configuration with Home is a
‘home-emacs-service-type’, possibly based on/inspired by the one in rde
that Andrew mentions.

Thanks,
Ludo’.