guix-devel

Re: GNU Mes 0.24.1 released

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: GNU Mes 0.24.1 released
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 15:13:35 +0200

Hi,

Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> skribis:

>> This is exciting news!  Looking forward to having full-source
>> bootstrapped AArch64… and it looks like there’s already activity on a
>> ‘wip-’ branch.
>
> Yes, it is!  The ARM bootstrap story is still a bit flakey, as
> stage0-posix does not support ARM.  So, ARM would need
> %bootstrap-mescc-tools and %bootstrap-mes binary seeds...meh.

By “ARM”, you mean the 32-bit ARMv7 ISA, which armhf-linux targets,
right?  (AArch64, aka. ARMv8, is also “ARM”.  :-))

> However, aarch64-linux now bootstraps from 526 bytes all the way until
> gcc-core-mesboot 2,95.3.  Very nice!

Impressive!

> We're still stuck at building a full gcc+glibc combo;
> glibc-mesboot-2.2.5 builds, but possibly not correctly; as the full
> gcc-mesboot0 (2.95.3) build fails at configure time: gcc-core-mesboot0 +
> glibc-mesboot0
>
>        ?: 0 [execle "./gencheck" # "./gencheck"]
>     ERROR: In procedure execle: Exec format error
>
> Not sure what to do here.  We could somehow try to debug/bisect this.
> We could try to use a newer glibc; glibc-2.2.5 happened during the
> OABI/EABI switch and is heavily patched.

This issue is on aarch64-linux?  What does “file gencheck” say?

> Or, we could try to remove glibc-2.2.5/gcc-2.95.3 altogether and aim
> for a direct tcc => gcc-4.6.4.  We need to go that way anyway for
> RISCV.

That sounds like the best approach longer-term, but possibly more work
than figuring out the issue above?

Thanks,
Ludo’.