guix-devel

Re: GNU Mes 0.24.1 released

From: Janneke Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: GNU Mes 0.24.1 released
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 21:41:20 +0200

Ludovic Courtès writes:

Hey!

> Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> skribis:
>
> This is exciting news!  Looking forward to having full-source
> bootstrapped AArch64… and it looks like there’s already activity on a
> ‘wip-’ branch.

Yes, it is!  The ARM bootstrap story is still a bit flakey, as
stage0-posix does not support ARM.  So, ARM would need
%bootstrap-mescc-tools and %bootstrap-mes binary seeds...meh.

However, aarch64-linux now bootstraps from 526 bytes all the way until
gcc-core-mesboot 2,95.3.  Very nice!

We're still stuck at building a full gcc+glibc combo;
glibc-mesboot-2.2.5 builds, but possibly not correctly; as the full
gcc-mesboot0 (2.95.3) build fails at configure time: gcc-core-mesboot0 +
glibc-mesboot0

       ?: 0 [execle "./gencheck" # "./gencheck"]
    ERROR: In procedure execle: Exec format error

Not sure what to do here.  We could somehow try to debug/bisect this.
We could try to use a newer glibc; glibc-2.2.5 happened during the
OABI/EABI switch and is heavily patched.  Or, we could try to remove
glibc-2.2.5/gcc-2.95.3 altogether and aim for a direct tcc => gcc-4.6.4.
We need to go that way anyway for RISCV.

Greetings,
Janneke

--
Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org>  | GNU LilyPond https://LilyPond.org