guix-devel

Re: GNU Mes 0.24.1 released

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: GNU Mes 0.24.1 released
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 21:02:26 +0300

On Wed, Oct 19, 2022 at 09:41:20PM +0200, Janneke Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Ludovic Courtès writes:
>
> Hey!
>
> > Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> skribis:
> >
> > This is exciting news!  Looking forward to having full-source
> > bootstrapped AArch64… and it looks like there’s already activity on a
> > ‘wip-’ branch.
>
> Yes, it is!  The ARM bootstrap story is still a bit flakey, as
> stage0-posix does not support ARM.  So, ARM would need
> %bootstrap-mescc-tools and %bootstrap-mes binary seeds...meh.
>
> However, aarch64-linux now bootstraps from 526 bytes all the way until
> gcc-core-mesboot 2,95.3.  Very nice!
>
> We're still stuck at building a full gcc+glibc combo;
> glibc-mesboot-2.2.5 builds, but possibly not correctly; as the full
> gcc-mesboot0 (2.95.3) build fails at configure time: gcc-core-mesboot0 +
> glibc-mesboot0
>
>        ?: 0 [execle "./gencheck" # "./gencheck"]
>     ERROR: In procedure execle: Exec format error
>
> Not sure what to do here.  We could somehow try to debug/bisect this.
> We could try to use a newer glibc; glibc-2.2.5 happened during the
> OABI/EABI switch and is heavily patched.  Or, we could try to remove
> glibc-2.2.5/gcc-2.95.3 altogether and aim for a direct tcc => gcc-4.6.4.
> We need to go that way anyway for RISCV.

I noticed that when offloading from my x86_64 box to my aarch64 machine
target gets (%current-system) from the originating system, not from the
system doing the building. I'm testing moving the '(let ((triplet ...'
code down from the top of the definition to inside the arguments. I
didn't see a difference with 'guix build -d' for x86_64 from x86_64, but
the derivation did change with the planned offload to an aarch64
machine.

I looked into gcc-2.95 more than I wanted to last week with GHC-4.08,
would it help if we specified we wanted armv4 or armv4t or strongswan
instead of "generic"?