guix-devel

Re: Types and builds for mypy

From: Phil
Subject: Re: Types and builds for mypy
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 18:05:48 +0100

Thanks for your reply Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer writes:

> Is MyPy the only consumer of Python type annotations?  I think so, but
> I'm not sure.  If it's the only one, it'd make sense to move mypy and
> all the annotation types to (gnu packages python-types), I think.

Mypy is certainly a prominent consumer, but you're right - PEP 561 type stub
packages are also used by PyCharm, pytype, and I've heard CPython can
use them to compile, to name a few.

So I think my revised opinion is mypy should stay where it is, but I do
like the idea of keeping all the types in one module?

Co-locating them with the module they provide type for also works fine,
but I kinda see the type files as visual noise if we put them in
packages which are organized into categories they don't directly
contribute to. Perhaps they are better kept in once place?

It also means that when running mypy you can just import your
python-types module, and be sure it's going to work.

> I think if it doesn't negatively impact its use, we should go ahead and
> make this change in the mypy package.
>
> Happy to review patches!

Cool thanks - leave this with me, I have a working package so can submit
a patch shortly!