guix-devel

Types and builds for mypy

From: Philip Beadling
Subject: Types and builds for mypy
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 10:09:46 +0000

Hi all

Users of mypy and python will have noticed since the promotion of mypy to v0. 971 it is now neccesary to provide separate python packages containing types of non core libraries.

The way we've been collecting these, outside of Guix proper, is in a single module called python-types, which can then simply be added as a native-input to any python build requiring mypy.

The alternative is to colocate the types with their packages, or perhaps colocate them all with mypy itself.

My preference is to put them all in one module, I think.

Is there formal strategy in Guix for how to organise these packages?  I'd be happy to make available our current python-types.scm as a starting point?

Finally and slightly related I note that by default the 971 package of mypy is not C compiled using mypyc.  It's a simple tweak to turn this on in the package and it makes huge performance difference when using mypy (on average 4x faster is quoted).  Again, happy to offer up a modified or inherited package if other people are frustrated by the slow down?

Cheers,
Phil.