guix-devel

Re: Types and builds for mypy

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Types and builds for mypy
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 09:53:04 -0400

Hi,

Philip Beadling <phil@beadling.co.uk> writes:

> Hi all
>
> Users of mypy and python will have noticed since the promotion of mypy to v0.
> 971 it is now neccesary to provide separate python packages containing types
> of non core libraries.
>
> The way we've been collecting these, outside of Guix proper, is in a single
> module called python-types, which can then simply be added as a native-input
> to any python build requiring mypy.
>
> The alternative is to colocate the types with their packages, or perhaps
> colocate them all with mypy itself.

Is MyPy the only consumer of Python type annotations?  I think so, but
I'm not sure.  If it's the only one, it'd make sense to move mypy and
all the annotation types to (gnu packages python-types), I think.

> My preference is to put them all in one module, I think.
>
> Is there formal strategy in Guix for how to organise these packages?  I'd be
> happy to make available our current python-types.scm as a starting point?
>
> Finally and slightly related I note that by default the 971 package of
> mypy is not C compiled using mypyc.  It's a simple tweak to turn this
> on in the package and it makes huge performance difference when using
> mypy (on average 4x faster is quoted).  Again, happy to offer up a
> modified or inherited package if other people are frustrated by the
> slow down?

I think if it doesn't negatively impact its use, we should go ahead and
make this change in the mypy package.

Happy to review patches!

--
Thanks,