guix-devel

Re: How long does it take to run the full rustc bootstrap chain?

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: How long does it take to run the full rustc bootstrap chain?
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 22:52:07 +0300

On Sat, Oct 15, 2022 at 09:33:23AM +0200, Félix Baylac Jacqué wrote:
> Hey Guix,
>
> I'd be curious to know how long it takes to run the full rustc bootstrap
> chain on the Guix build farm. I'm sadly not sure how to approach this
> problem.
>
> Is there a way to extract this information from Cuirass or the Guix data
> service?

If I were to go about it I would try to get the build log from each
package:
guix build --no-grafts -e '(@@ (gnu packages rust) rust-bootstrap)' \
    --log-file

and then I'd add up the build and test phases to get a rough estimate.

For an approximate answer, the build farm runs 4 builds per machine,
with 8 cores per build (all of this is in the guix-maintenance repo I
think). When I build from mrustc to rust-1.60 on my machine with 24
cores it currently takes about 2 hours for rust-bootstrap (1.54) and
then about 30-45 minutes each other version.

I don't remember the bug number offhand, but there's work being done to
speed up the process. The last time I ran though the test build I built
from rust-1.55 to librsvg in 171 minutes.