guix-devel

Re: How long does it take to run the full rustc bootstrap chain?

From: bokr
Subject: Re: How long does it take to run the full rustc bootstrap chain?
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 21:37:32 +0200

Hi,

On +2022-10-22 09:48:50 -0400, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Félix Baylac Jacqué <felix@alternativebit.fr> writes:
>
> > Hey Guix,
> >
> > I'd be curious to know how long it takes to run the full rustc bootstrap
> > chain on the Guix build farm. I'm sadly not sure how to approach this
> > problem.
> >
> > Is there a way to extract this information from Cuirass or the Guix data
> > service?
> >
> > Félix
>
> It used to be 16 hours on a Ryzen 3900x machine, then it got halved to 8
> hours with the work to bootstrap from 1.39, and recently we're
> bootstrapping from 1.54, so it must have been greatly reduced again.
>
> Looking at (gnu packages rust), the mrustc-based bootstrap starts with
> 1.54.0.  This one is expensive, probably around 1 h 30 or more on a
> Ryzen 3900x CPU (24 logical CPUs).
>
> The intermediate builds are typically around 15-20 minutes on that
> machines, with the last one taking a bit more (30 minutes), so the
> current bootstrap on such a machine should take about:
>
> 1.54.0: 1h30m
> 1.55.0 - 1.60.0: 6 X 20 min = 1h20m
> 1.60.0: final build with tests and extra tools: 30 min
>
> The total should be around 3 h 20 on a fast modern x86_64 machine.  I
> suppose the time for berlin to build it takes about this.
>
> HTH!
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Maxim

I'm curious what
$ lsblk -o size,model,type,tran,vendor,name|grep -Ei 'ssd|model';echo;lspci
|grep -i nvme
on your relevant machines would show.

I opted for the best SSD available for my purism librem13v4 at the time,
and was really happy with seems like 10x faster than the SATA SSD in my older
but still i7 x86_64 previous laptop. Prob really 4-5x faster.

So above combo command line now gives me
SIZE MODEL                          TYPE  TRAN   VENDOR   NAME
465.8G Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB disk  nvme            nvme0n1

01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd NVMe SSD
Controller SM981/PM981
$

What /is/has been/ on your machines? Could your improved times be part from
SSD/controller changes?

There's really a huge difference  between SATA and 4-lane pci
(where both ends can handle it, which may require fw update or not be available)
Obviously 4 lanes is also going to be faster than one.

--
Regards,
Bengt Richter