guix-devel

Re: How long does it take to run the full rustc bootstrap chain?

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: How long does it take to run the full rustc bootstrap chain?
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 10:35:02 -0400

Hi,

bokr@bokr.com writes:

[...]

> I'm curious what
>
> $ lsblk -o size,model,type,tran,vendor,name|grep -Ei 'ssd|model';echo;lspci
> |grep -i nvme
>
> on your relevant machines would show.
>
> I opted for the best SSD available for my purism librem13v4 at the time,
> and was really happy with seems like 10x faster than the SATA SSD in my older
> but still i7 x86_64 previous laptop. Prob really 4-5x faster.
>
> So above combo command line now gives me
>
> SIZE MODEL                          TYPE  TRAN   VENDOR   NAME
> 465.8G Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB disk  nvme            nvme0n1
>
> 01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd NVMe SSD
> Controller SM981/PM981
> $
>
> What /is/has been/ on your machines? Could your improved times be part from
> SSD/controller changes?
>
> There's really a huge difference  between SATA and 4-lane pci
> (where both ends can handle it, which may require fw update or not be
> available)
> Obviously 4 lanes is also going to be faster than one.

$ lsblk -o size,model,type,tran,vendor,name|grep -Ei 'ssd|model';echo;lspci
|grep -i nvme
  SIZE MODEL                      TYPE  TRAN   VENDOR   NAME
465.8G Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB  disk  sata   ATA      sda
931.5G Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB    disk  sata   ATA      sdc

Building Rust is mostly CPU dependent; I think fast single thread
performance is key as not that much happen in parallel, IIRC.  The 3900X
is a 12 cores (24 logical) beast.

--
Thanks,
Maxim