guix-devel

Re: Transformations Shell Syntax

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: Transformations Shell Syntax
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 11:39:21 +0200

Hi jgart,

On Tue, 23 May 2023 at 06:43, "jgart" <jgart@dismail.de> wrote:

> Hi Guixers WDYT,

WDYT about what?  Could you be more specific and detail your idea?

> Uses specified commit hash:
>
> guix build emacs-ement@8b56efa9387262514daf63151d41c9e111e79567
>
> Uses specified commit hash (short):
>
> guix build emacs-ement@8b56efa
>
> Uses latest upstream release:
>
> guix build emacs-ement@latest
>
> Uses the latest commit in the wip/find-room branch:
>
> guix build emacs-ement@wip/find-room

If you are suggesting between the lines to copy the already packaged
’emacs-ement’ Guix recipe to some temporary location, then tweak the
version field and build it.  Well, it appears to me already implemented
with the transformations “--with-version” or “--with-branch” or
“--with-commit” or “--with-latest”.

> Uses upstream version 0.8.2 if not packaged:
>
> guix build emacs-ement@0.8.2

If you are suggesting between the lines to transparently run “guix
import” and then build the result, well, it will depend on the quality
of the importer.  And I think the effort is not worth – it appears to me
better to keep the both separated.

Cheers,
simon