guix-devel

Re: Transformations Shell Syntax

From: Ryan Prior
Subject: Re: Transformations Shell Syntax
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 03:06:17 +0000

I don't like the unpredictability of jgart's original proposal, but maybe
something explicit could still look similar.

Suppose you could build emacs-ement these three ways:
# no transform- this is a version packaged in Guix
guix build emacs-ement@0.5.2
# transform using `with-git-commit`
guix build emacs-ement@git-commit:8b56efa9387262514daf63151d41c9e111e79567
# transform using `with-latest`
guix build emacs-ement@latest
# transform using `with-version`
guix build emacs-ement@version:0.8.2

A short syntax for transforms would contribute to readability and ergonomic
ease. Worth looking into.

Ryan