guix-devel

Re: FSDG issues of SCUMMVM-based games

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: FSDG issues of SCUMMVM-based games
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 06:30:26 +0200

Am Sonntag, dem 18.06.2023 um 21:07 +0200 schrieb Denis 'GNUtoo'
Carikli:
> [...]
> > Didn't you say that a hello world for scummvm exists?
> I don't know. There is a template for AGI games but the license is
> strange too, and it also requires some software to build it, and I've
> no idea if it's compatible with QT AGI, and I've also no idea if QT
> AGI works, doesn't have nonfree dependencies, etc.
>
> So that makes things way more complicated because here it probably
> requires a lot of work to confirm that it's possible or not possible
> to develop programs that run inside ScummVM with free software.
I see we're hitting a recurring pattern of not knowing things.  This is
not aided by my personal disinterest for ScummVM, but I have to weigh
that disinterest against the potential interest of thousands of users
who are likely to only discover this argument to have taken place after
we've reached a conclusion.

Note, that this discussion started IIRC a year ago and we have
practically known about actually existing FSDG violations since then.
My approach here is quite simple and pragmatic: Remove the games which
obviously violate the FSDG (that is all the games currently depending
on ScummVM as far as I know), but keep ScummVM for now to allow folks
to experiment.  If in some one to five years we still find no practical
way of using ScummVM with only free software, that might be a reason to
remove it then.

WDYT?