guix-devel

Re: Maybe a way to get a few more developpers to work on Guix ?

From: Nicolas Graves
Subject: Re: Maybe a way to get a few more developpers to work on Guix ?
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 14:02:58 +0200

On 2023-06-24 13:08, Csepp wrote:

> Nicolas Graves via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution."
> <guix-devel@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> https://www.bpifrance.fr/nos-appels-a-projets-concours/appel-a-projets-communs-numeriques-pour-lintelligence-artificielle-generative
>>
>> Here's a call for proposal in French which could match a Guix project
>> with a focus on code generation through LLMs. This could itself help
>> Guix generate (and fix) package definitions.
>
> Mandatory reading for anyone interested in this:
> https://limited.systems/articles/climate-cost-of-ai-revolution/

I fully agree on that as well. I don't think training a full-fetched LLM
is nowhere worth it, but I've heard that just fine-tuning an open model
with quantized weights might get the job done training and energy costs
down to a few hundred bucks.

> IMHO LLMs for Guix are so damn not worth the effort.  It will not fix
> any of the actual issues with Guix, like the huge performance gap
> between it and traditional package managers.

I've also opened another discussion on the subject on guix-devel
recently. Do you have any benchmark material to back this up?

--
Best regards,
Nicolas Graves