guix-devel

Re: Guix's python has pip's user dir in its loadpath

From: 宋文武
Subject: Re: Guix's python has pip's user dir in its loadpath
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 18:22:17 +0800

edk@beaver-labs.com writes:

> Dear Guix devs,
>
> While working around this bug:
>
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/63912
>
> I found that guix's Python will load anything in
> .local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ over any installed package in the
> current profile. This makes pip-installed package overshadow guix's.
>
> I'm not sure this is desirable behavior. What I was expecting was for
> the host system's python packages to be completely ignored.

Hello, I think this is a well-known issue according to PEP 668:
https://peps.python.org/pep-0668/

The suggested solution is to introduce a `EXTERNALLY-MANAGED` file to
disable the useage of `pip install`, and advice `guix shell` or `venv`.

Similiar to ArchLinux:
https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/packaging/packages/python/-/commit/547eee4deb54fda2a3892997145b57de37301c5d