guix-devel

Re: Building from git

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: Building from git
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2023 14:06:05 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, 02 Sep 2023 at 11:03, Nicolas Débonnaire <n.debonnaire@gmail.com> wrote:

> guix shell -D guix --pure
> ./bootstrap
> ./configure --localstatedir=/var --syscondir=/etc
> make

[...]

> Error: fontconfig:Didn't find expected font family. Perhaps URW Type 1
> fonts need installing?

Hum, weird.  That’s because the documentation seems failing, I guess.

Could you share which Git commit you are building?  And using which Guix
revision, before guix shell, what is the output of “guix describe“?

> Then if I run make authenticate as stated in the documentation it
> fails with the error: guix: command not found.

Yeah, I think that’s expected because ’make’ failed.  Quoting:

        If anything fails, take a look at installation instructions (*note
        Installation::) or send a message to the mailing list
        <guix-devel@gnu.org>.

           From there on, you can authenticate all the commits included in your
        checkout by running:

             make authenticate

However, hum maybe there is bug with that command on pure environment.
The manual is maybe inaccurate.

The Makefile does not run ‘guix git authenticate’ using ./pre-inst-env.
And that’s probably to ensure the source of trust.  If one corrupt the
commit that is built, then ’make authenticate’ would authenticate the
corruption because it would run the corrupted newly built guix command.
Currently, ’make authenticate’ run one guix command that had already
been authenticated.  Well, that’s my understanding.

Cheers,
simon