guix-devel

Re: Git-LFS or Git Annex?

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: Git-LFS or Git Annex?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 21:20:17 -0500

Simon Tournier writes:
> As we see, since ’origin’ is unreachable, it fetches directly from the
> web.  Well, on machine-B running:
>
>     git annex sync && git annex get -A
>
> allows to first update the keys and then to fetch all the new content
> from ’origin’.  It eases the maintenance of backups, IMHO.

One sync wrinkle to consider: by default 'git annex sync' does things
like commit staged changes and sync the checked out branch.  That's
useful in some scenarios, but, in the context of these repos, I'm
guessing people would prefer to continue to manually manage the primary
Git history.  You can tack on an --only-annex to that 'git annex sync'
to tell git-annex to just sync its git-annex branch.

> Well, if some motivated Haskeller would find fun to implement NAR as
> backend, it would allow transparent substitution; from my understanding,
> if the key contains NAR hash then it would be possible to bridge with
> Guix content-addressed system. :-)

Fwiw I think someone could do that outside Haskell, if they preferred,
via a custom backend:

  https://git-annex.branchable.com/design/external_backend_protocol/

Special remotes can also be written in other languages:

  https://git-annex.branchable.com/design/external_special_remote_protocol/