guix-science

Re: Help! I messed up guix-past

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Help! I messed up guix-past
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2022 17:36:27 +0200

Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen@fastmail.net> writes:

> I added a few packages to guix-past, but apparently forgot something
> because I cannot pull without –disable-authentication. The error message
> is
>
> guix pull: error: commit e9ccdb84d688c19415610474e8e630b72248c380 lacks a
> signature
>
> Two questions:
>   - How can I fix this?

The only way to truly fix this would be to force push an earlier variant
without your commits.  This is frowned upon.

The history-preserving fix would be to update the introduction commit to
point to the first commit after yours that can be authenticated.  This
effectively wipes out the history of trusted commits and starts from
scratch.

>   - What should I have done to prevent this? Probably sign my commits,
>   but is that enough? With nobody knowing my key, signing is probably not
>   worth much on its own.

Your key must also be in the keyring branch.  The manual explains how to
do all this.

--
Ricardo