guix-science

Re: Help! I messed up guix-past

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: Help! I messed up guix-past
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 11:31:44 +0200

Hi Ricardo,

> Many graphical user environments come with a key manager that unlocks
> all secrets on login.  One example is Seahorse, which is used by Gnome
> to unlock the Gnome keyring on login.

And indeed, I use Gnome, although that's another element I'd really love
to get out of my life. I spend way too much time debugging Gnome/Gtk
configuration issues.

> So this would really not be about GPG doing something silly or unsafe,
> but rather about Seahorse and the Gnome keyring doing what they were
> designed to do: quietly unlocking secrets on login.

It has happened to me once that I clicked "Save password" by
accident. But that's not my current problem. I checked: the passwords
for my GPG keys are not in the login keyring.

Cheers,
  Konrad