gwl-devel

Re: [gwl-devel] what colour should the bikeshed have?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: [gwl-devel] what colour should the bikeshed have?
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 12:23:56 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 at 15:14, Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:

> But even if we can’t do that, maybe we could just replace
> the very long “procedure” with the much shorter “run”:
>
>   process: sleep
>     packages "coreutils"
>     run # bash {
>       echo "Sleeping..."
>       sleep 10
>     }

[...]

> What do you think?  Is it worth trying / doing?

Nice !
Even, the keyword `run` seems  more talkative than `procedure`.

However, I am a bit lost. Does this process still work?

process: sleep
  packages "coreutils"
  run '(begin (display "Sleeping...\n")
                    (system* "sleep" "10"))

For consistency, why not?
  run # guile {
    blah
  }

And, is it better to declare explicitly "coreutils" as package input
when using bash?
Or implicitly? For example, if `run # python {}` is used then the
package input is implicitly python.
What do you think?

All the best,
simon