gwl-devel

Re: [gwl-devel] what colour should the bikeshed have?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: [gwl-devel] what colour should the bikeshed have?
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 00:24:34 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> I think “procedure # bash {” is a bit long for a very common use case.
> Since “# bash {…}” is special syntax implemented with a reader macro I’m
> not sure if or how we can do better.
>
> I think we might be able to do this:
>
>   process: sleep
>     packages "coreutils"
>     # bash {
>       echo "Sleeping..."
>       sleep 10
>     }

This works now since commit da8e0308587d62a06169dacdc41e86519a1ffa54.
Code snippets (either produced with the “#” syntax or without) are the
only thing that can make use of this special rule at the moment.  Plain
S-expressions need to use “procedure '(…)”, because I don’t really want
to match on “quote” and “quasiquote” at macro expansion time.

I didn’t implement special handling for G-expressions either, but that’s
possible in principle.

I’ll rename “procedure” to “run” next.

--
Ricardo