gzz-dev

Enfiladealigner (was: Re: [Gzz] Ids)

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Enfiladealigner (was: Re: [Gzz] Ids)
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 21:47:55 +0200

Tuomas Lukka wrote:

On another note: I'm deprecating the *Space constructors that
take an enfiladealigner: I already said here that Space should not
do anything with an enfiladealigner, as the implementation is too
ill-defined. I'd like to retain the gzz core APIs such that they could
be formally defined and justified.

Hm. While I do understand that, I also feel that enfilade aligning should in fact be a part of the core API, with the following functions in CellTexter:

exportText(Cell)
updateText(Cell, String)

This is because I would like the client not to be dependent on VStreamTexter etc. here: a simple string-based cell texter could implement these methods in a terribly simple way.

Maybe a different subinterface of CellTexter (could be in a different package) would be right?

What would you think of gzz.fuzzy which would contain EnfiladeAligner
and also all Merge code? This would be a package for the more intricate,
less rigorous algorithms.
Ok. StringSearcher should also go there.

By the way, StringSearcher needs to be rethought: we need to be able to update mappings, because cells' text can change. How about making the data it operates on a mapping from keys to one String per key, and then make the op searching for a String and returning all keys that are a good match?

I'd also like to define the result of a StringSearcher match always to be ordered (two consecutive searches return the same order of items), because I'd like to be able to step through the different matches with e.g. the up/down keys.

-b.