gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Re: urn-5 article

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Re: urn-5 article
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 17:18:53 +0300

> >Yes. Along with discussing the difference between this and urn:sha-1 really
> >carefully.
> >

> (Between this and "identification schemes based on secure hashing, such
> as the (unregistered) Freenet URIs": urn:sha-1 is neither used nor
> registered nor in the process of being registered, so the most we could
> refer to it is as an idea someone has had at some point. A nit, I know,
> but important when publishing this.)

Some gnutella clients use it.

> >>What do you mean, here?
> >>

> >Well, in order for it to be a good academic article, we need to discuss
> >
> >     - URN
> >     - freenet IDs
> >     - DNS
> >     - email addresses
> >     - URLs
> >     - IP addresses
> >     - physical addresses
> >     - JUST ABOUT ALL FORMS OF IDENTIFICATION THAT EVER HAS BEEN USED
> >
> >in an academically valid introduction.
> >

> Ah, ok. Other identifications to mention here:
>
> - HTML anchors
> - HTML/XML element ids
> - relative URIs, fragment identifiers
> - GNOME monikers
>
> These are not globally unique, which is important to us because they're
> used in places where urn-5 could be used for unique identification.

Hey, these are EXCELLENT examples. The HTML anchor becoming a GUID...
tracking cut&paste xanadu-like.

Also: X.400

> Possible order of presentation:
> - Globally unique ids and why you want to use them
> - Places that don't use globally unique ids currently, and what you
> cannot do because of that
> - The urn:urn-5 namespace
> - how it works
> - how it's different from hashing
> - Caveat: Human readability/writability problems
> - only in text editors, structure editors can handle ids internally
> - Caveat: unlike relative identifiers, when you have an urn:urn-5 id,
> you don't automatically have any document/context it appears in
> - you can have a central registry on a system containing those ids, if
> you want to perform lookups using them
> - this kind of registry would allow RDF statements about identified
> objects to be resolved
> - could use this to implement transclusions and links
> - Conclusions

Have to have introduction and prior art first. And mention urn:urn-5
in the introduction and explain that we're going to say here what it's for.

In other ways this sounds good.

LaTeX?

        Tuomas