gzz-dev

[Gzz] ARB_vertex_program

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: [Gzz] ARB_vertex_program
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:16:37 +0200

Ok, I'm going to raise a potentially controversial issue here.

I was discussing with jvk here at Jyväskylä (hint: if you want to talk,
come to office today) about nvidia's new drivers for linux (build 4191).

The most important point is that across the board, on all chips, they support
the GL_ARB_vertex_program extension - in HW on NV20+, in SW in earlier chips.
Mesa, in its latest version, also contains support for this, as do ATI's drivers
for their cards.

The only place that doesn't is XFree86 4.2.0, but it's within the limits of
reason
to ask people to load it themselves, and it *is* software-emulatable.

So, here's my controversial proposal:

        make GL_ARB_vertex_program obligatory for gzz on OpenGL

this would cause some initial headaches for those with XFree86 4.2.0, but
in the long run would be very helpful: we could do more things in Java/Jython
without creating special renderable code.

        Tuomas